5 Ways to Create an Efficient Logistics Team
Your company depends on efficient logistics to keep things moving. Logistics control the movement of resources from one location to another. Who works where and when is part of logistics, as is how products get from point A to point B. The more smoothly your company’s logistics plan operates, the more smoothly your business will run. And the more smoothly your business runs, the more likely it will be to turn a profit or increase its revenue.
Knowing the best ways to create an efficient logistics team will help your business keep its clients and customers happy, keep its employees safe and quickly solve any problems that arise.
What Are the Traits of an Efficient Logistics Team?
If you examine the most efficient logistics teams, you’re likely to find that they share several traits and features in common. As you work on developing or improving your company’s logistic strategy and team, focus on curating or including the following.
- A good logistics manager: The person in charge of managing the team can make or break it. A good manager has excellent communication skills and thinks on their feet. They know how to work with people and encourage their team to accomplish their tasks promptly and efficiently.
- A strong logistics plan: The most efficient logistics teams operate from a strong plan. The plan should cover all aspects of logistics, from shipments that arrive at the warehouse to shipments that leave it. When trying to figure out what to do next, an employee should ideally refer to the plan to determine exactly what they need to do. Along with a strong plan A, it’s also vital that a team have a plan B if any unforeseen issues or challenges arise.
- Effective warehouse and inventory management tools: An efficient logistics team uses all the tools it has available to streamline inventory control and manage warehouses effectively. For example, a cloud-based inventory management software program allows the team to track where products are stored, when shipments arrive and who checked in or handled each shipment. Using the right tools eliminates guesswork and makes it easier to discover if something goes wrong.
- Trained and knowledgeable employees: The best logistics teams are made up of employees who understand the company they work with and the value of working efficiently. Key to that understanding is proper training. Staff members should ideally be cross-trained, so they can see how all the logistics plan’s moving parts work together. Someone who usually picks items on the warehouse floor should also know how to pack items. Someone responsible for receiving shipments should know how to pick items, too.
- Respect for all: Along with training employees to know how the process works, the best logistics teams also cultivate a culture of respect. Although there might be a hierarchy, with the manager at the top, the most efficient teams recognize that everyone on the team has an important role to play.
- Embrace of technology: Technology, such as mobile barcode scanners, and e-commerce inventory management, can help improve the efficiency of a logistics team by speeding up the time it takes to perform certain tasks or by automating repetitive and error-prone tasks.
- Constant evolution: An efficient team recognizes that it needs to continually evolve and grow to keep up with the changing times and continue to be effective. A logistics team should embrace change. It also helps if the team uses an inventory management system designed to scale as the business grows.
Examples of an Efficient Logistics Team
An efficient logistics team starts with effective logistics management. A strong manager has stellar interpersonal skills and can motivate others on the team and provide guidance and feedback when needed. An effective logistics team also needs employees who are on-board with the company’s mission and goals and eager to help the business achieve those goals.
Best Ways to Create an Efficient Logistics Team
How can you go about putting together a logistics team that takes your company to the next level and ensures your operations run smoothly? Here are some of the best ways to go about building a top-quality, efficient team.
- Be careful who you hire: The people behind the team are vital to its success. If you hire a strong manager who has stellar communication skills and can get the most out of their employees, you’re on the path toward an excellent team. But don’t stop with the manager. Everyone else you hire needs to be on-board, willing to be cross-trained and do what they can to help the company succeed.
- Encourage input: Everyone on the team should have a voice. Listening to your team members’ ideas and accepting their input doesn’t mean you need to put those ideas into practice. But encouraging people to share their thoughts and ideas can mean that you uncover a better way of running the team or a better way to organize your warehouse.
- Don’t be afraid of technology: Your team’s people are vital to its success, as are any other tools you use. If you currently use manual methods of picking or receiving, switching to a barcode scanner can streamline your processes, allowing your team to work more efficiently and saving your company money in the long run.
- Be ready to pivot: An efficient team is nimble and light on its toes, meaning that it can change course or try something new if the need arises. Developing a contingency plan if things don’t go as expected is one way to increase efficiency and ensure that your team can keep working even if challenges come up.
- Audit your inventory: Stock-outs, missing products or an excess number of certain products on the shelves of a warehouse can lead to customer frustration, canceled orders and a waste of money. As you put together a logistics strategy, make sure it includes a plan for an inventory audit. When you audit your inventory, you can clearly see who moved what and when. The audit also gives you an idea of what products move quickly and which ones languish on the shelves.
How Finale Inventory Can Help Your Logistics Team Succeed
Finale Inventory’s cloud-based software allows you to streamline your logistics plan, increasing your company’s chances of success. With Finale Inventory, you can:
- Keep track of inventory stock levels, minimizing stock-outs and keeping your re-ordering schedule up-to-date.
- Manage one or more warehouses.
- Quickly receive shipments and pick products from the warehouse using our mobile barcode scanners.
- Perform stock audits.
- Integrate with multiple e-commerce marketplaces and outside apps.
Start Your Free Trial Today
Small and large businesses around the world use Finale Inventory to increase their efficiency and improve their processes. If you’re ready to see the benefits of inventory management software for yourself, schedule a demo today or start a free 14-day trial.